[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - Black screen at launch & windowed screen issue

Black screen at launch & windowed screen issue

Report Game Breaking Bugs, Crashes or Anything Else of High Priority

• Just bought the game on Steam, actually bought a 4pack for some 30+ year old friends I used to play Doom and Quake with back in the day, looking forward to this, but...

The first problem I'm having is when I launch normally, I get a black screen. If I tab out and back in, I get flickering, like, extremely high hertz flickering, as if every other frame is black/grey, but every other other frame is the game. But it isn't updating, I can't click on anything. Alt+enter gives me a window border that's clear (can see desktop through it).

I googled a little, and someone suggested the command line argument -windowed, which I added to the steam launch command. That gave me this:

I'm running 3 monitors, but I cropped them out of this pic, and just focused on the center one. All monitors are Viewsonic 1920x1080 screens, so the desktop resolution of the center monitor is 1920x1080. I am not currently running in EyeFinity, so Windows (and thus the game) so there shouldn't be any issues about the game being confused about my display resolution. However, I can't get the game's window to be any larger than what's pictured there. I played a little bit with it that way, but it isn't an enjoyable experience.

How can I either get borderless windowed working, or, preferably, full screen? I specify fullscreen preference, because any time I run a windowed game, I can tell by MSI Afterburner that one of my XFX 6990's GPUs will just turn off completely, which really hurts performance.

Thanks!

CPU: i7 950 Nehalem
    RAM: 24 GB DDR3
    GPU: XFX 6990 Black Edition (Dual GPU card, two GPUs on one PCB)
    MoBo: EVGA e762 X58 "4-WAY SLI" Classified
    Cronyx
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• Hello. Unfortunately we can not provide borderless window but you can set a custom resolution with a console command.
    To do so press F1 once the game is startet (does not matter whether you're in the menu or in the actual game) and type in:
    setres 1920x1200
    for example. First value would be the width and the second one the height.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - - -
    Lehnard [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Sorry, I'm not sure you read my post. Or looked at the screenshot. As you can see in the screenshot, of the graphics settings tab, it is already reporting that the render resolution is 1920x1080. The problem is that the display or should I say, the window resolution is far below that.

What is the solution to this problem?

Alternatively, how do I get fullscreen working properly? I haven't given out the 4 copies I bought yet in my Steam library and I'd like to avoid refunding if possible, I just want the game to run.

Thanks! :)
    Cronyx
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• Did you try launching with -windowed and then switching to full screen (with the setting or alt+enter) ?

Also think about checking/trying the
    TOXIKK Modding Team: now in the
    Check out my latest BL maps - , , and !
    Chatouille
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

• Personally I just play it in windowed and hit the maximized button to get it to fill out fully. Should work, no? Sure, you'll get the borders and whatnot but 30 minutes of playing and you won't notice it anymore. I don't at least.
    As for a proper solution to the fullscreen not working.. I don't know!
    Streaming Toxikk and other stuff over at
    Equim
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Yes, I mentioned that in my first post.

Here's a video of some of the problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK0uiwCiLiY

I'll post an other tonight regarding what happens when I start without the -windowed argument, but I have to go to work now.
    Cronyx
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• Sorry, I have misunderstood your question. The reason why 1920x1080 gives you that strange real resolution in windowed mode is because the Engine realizes that it can't go all the way up, therefore uses the most it can get in that dimension and since it's a "smart" engine it tries to keep the ratio of the ordered Resolution and decreases the size in width as well.

One solution to that would be to subtract the difference from the height (it's around 25 pixel so your desired resolution would be 1920x1055 )

One option to get the game borderless is using the external programm WinExplorer by Nirsoft (free open source programm/works with other Games as well)
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/winexp.html

The best way would be of course to get your fullscreen to work. Did you try to deactivate the other two screens to see whether it works then?
    The blackscreen you described usually is caused by resolutions that are not supported, so my guess would be there's kind of a messup in the drivers of your GPU. To get rid of that it'll be most helpful to see which feature is causing it.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - - -
    Lehnard [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Sorry for the long delay, it's been a hectic week for me IRL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6fhSaDfqs

I disconnected the peripheral monitors, as requested, and I attempted to force-resize the window using Nirsoft WinExplorer, as requested. The above video is the results.

What should I try next? What's the next step?
    Cronyx
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• It might be related to your dual-GPU setup.
    I know this isn't a solution, but to narrow down the source of the problem, you could try to run the game with only one GFX card. I have no experience with SLI, but maybe there is an option in your gfx drivers to force the game on a single card. Or you could temporarily remove one card from the system.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

• Problem with that is I only have one card...

It's an AMD Radeon HD 6990 (technically an XFX 6990 Black Edition). That card is a dual-GPU card. One PCB, two Cayman XT chips on it. It isn't using PCIe Crossfire, but an on-card BUS that bridges the two together. I don't have a second card to remove OR disable. One card, that is for all intents and purposes, always in crossfire mode. It was about $750 USD new, and it's been a beast. :)
    As soon as the Polaris cards start coming out, I'll upgrade to a Polaris X2 (whatever they end up naming their dual-GPU Polaris card).

But that being said, what should I try next?
    Cronyx
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Next

Return to HIGH PRIORITY PROBLEMS

Information