Unable to connect to Online Servers

Report and Discuss Low to Medium Priority Problems
Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:50 am

• Hi there,

I am currently unable to join any online game server that is in the list, I have tried various servers but all won't connect. I have hosted my own for experimental reasons with all correct port forwarding but still the game sits on "Connecting to <hostname>".

Build: 1.0.4 Vanilla

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    To fall on the battlefield is to rise above
    WishfulThinking
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• If you have the full game, you can try to connect to the server "MOD CustMap BL+Insta" and see if it works?
    I am running this particular server with the "steam sockets" disabled, which are normally enabled to help avoiding network issues.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

• nah same result there as well, "connecting to" and hangs.
    WishfulThinking
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• Does your steam client show "connected" on the bottom of the windows?
    If your steam client is in offline mode but your PC has a working internet connection, toxikk will show "synchronizing" in the upper right corner of the screen and you won't be able to connect to a server. So make sure that Steam is in "connected" mode.

If your router has a DDoS protection, try disabling it. Some over-eager models misinterpret the responses from many game servers at the same time as a DDoS attack and drop the incoming data.

You can also try to connect to a known server without using the server browser. Open the console by pressing F1 and enter (or paste with ctrl+v): open 138.201.84.93:7779
    This will (hopefully) connect you to the "MOD CustMap BL+Insta" server.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

• PredatH0r wrote:You can also try to connect to a known server without using the server browser. Open the console by pressing F1 and enter (or paste with ctrl+v): open 138.201.84.93:7779
    This will (hopefully) connect you to the "MOD CustMap BL+Insta" server.

Connecting directly by IP address works, both via the open command in the console and within the server browser's "Join IP". I tested with my own test service and it too works by direct IP, but realistically, how many people would want to do that?.

I also noted that my username/playername changed to a default 'Player254' name whilst playing online,, but standard Steam name when playing single player.

As a side note, the in-game IRC does not connect either, that might be just the build though.
    WishfulThinking
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Return to GENERAL PROBLEMS

Information