[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - Cerberus Nerf?

Cerberus Nerf?

Suggest New or Discuss existing Features and Feature Tweaks
Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:40 am

Linkblade
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:47 am

• Whoooooaaaa guys, sorry. I guess I crossed the streams a little. This forum is a lot more reflective than the other one I was reading at the time, I apologise for grouping "you guys" with the guys on the Steam forum who are basically seeking for the homogenity. As for calling into question my credentials, well whatever. The reason I'm defensive is because they're pretty much identical to quake 1 rockets, which got nerfed in quake 2 which made it a much worse game as a result. As for the unreal series, I used to win money at Insomnia LAN's in the UK on those, tribes etc. after I hung up my spurs playing quake for the UK, but feel free to use more Sherlock skills to try and undermine someone anonymously on a forum bro - flaming and ad hominem attacks are nothing like they used to be, arrrgh ;)

Just as much as you like discussing a nerf after under 48 hours of play on one map, you've got to then allow others with a similarlylong history of gaming and different opinion to come forward too. Double jumping is not new to me, but the height and mechanics are different in this than other games that I've played, as I suggested in my post.

I for one love taking down someone with the cerberus and have been practicing doing it with one shotting with the rail gun thing, and one shotting with the shotgun secondary fire. Don't hear much talk about their use though because everyone seems to be fixated.

/A.
    Aetogra
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:22 am

Brother Ack
    Senior Mercenary
    Senior Mercenary

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:38 am

• Well the Cerberus is not that OP, the Problem here is that Foundation is to small to effectively dodge it, i would say just reduce Fire Rate and Damage Radius of the Rockets.
    ninetenduh
    L4 Founder
    L4 Founder
    Chief Mercenary
    Chief Mercenary

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:05 am

• If I were to advocate anything getting nerfed regarding the cerberus, I'd probably go with rate of fire too - there's just that little bit extra 'forgiveness' if you miss that might not be necessary.

Then, possibly splash damage INCREASED though only for those firing the cerberus. Make it a real question mark over short range play - at the moment it's quite forgiving to run into someone and smack them with a rocket up close if you have max health.

Rocket speed is great, allows for real reactive play as opposed to just spamming rockets and hoping for the best.

/A.
    Aetogra
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:14 am

• Leave the ammo alone, running out all the time will just make it feel crappy to use. 20 is NOT a lot of ammo to have for your rocket launcher (2k4 is max 30 with pickups being 9, and Quake 3 max was 200, QL max is 50). This is not a superweapon, the ammo should not be so scarce that you can't lean on it if that is your preference, but using the one weapon should yield inferior results to using multiple weapons in their appropriate situations. It needs to be toned down a bit in fire rate, projectile speed, and maybe splash (but only a hair), these can balance it without introducing awkward scarcity that will diminish its role in the game. I think the biggest problem by far right now is the projectile speed, but probably by a lot less than everyone thinks... normal human reaction time is about 200-250ms and the time these rockets take to get to an opponent at medium to close range MARGINALLY outpaces this, meaning that they are extremely hard to dodge right now but a slight decrease in speed might make all the difference.
    Lethargy
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    General
    General

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:32 am

CrushL
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 am

Predicate
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:51 am

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:40 am

• Glad to see others agree with the Cerberus being OP. Every match I've been in has basically come down to everyone and their mom spamming rockets everywhere. Not only is it annoying that one weapon is used for more than the others, it's not a weapon of finesse. It's splash weaponry ffs. Not hard to use.

How do you fix it though? Here is what I've been thinking:

Delay fusing. A large part of the problem is the close range splash effectiveness. Delay fusing so it won't be an effective weapon for close range ez mode spamming. This will allow for a little forgiveness in long range shots where splash will be more necessary (as opposed to a straight splash need). In order to keep some close range skilled effectiveness, give it kinetic damage. That would reward those who can direct hit, while reducing noob splash spam.

How would rocket jumping work? Make the delay start after an extremely short distance, call it X, be in effect from X-Y, then fuse alive after Y, allowing for explosion.

Sure, they could simply reduce splash, and it wouldn't be a bad nerf. But like I said, that would affect long range shots too.
    Reduce ROF, another good option Ithink should be implemented regardless of any changes to damage. However, should only be slight, because again, plays into long range effectiveness.
    Reduce overall damage? Perhaps a touch. I don't see the need for any OHK weapons in a standard game mode (I'm all for instagib game modes though). Head shots? Sure, OHK that all day in standard modes.

To those saying "like '99 yadda yadda..." Early arena shooters were about skill. Not about rocket spam. You never saw one weapon used by everyone in such a way as this.

And to those who say "I killed Cerberus users with other weapons..." Whoopdy doo. There are plenty of shitty gamers that will suck no matter what they use. That's not an indication of something not being OP.
    RedVeyron
    Senior Mercenary
    Senior Mercenary

PreviousNext

Return to FEATURE DISCUSSION

Information