Suggest New or Discuss existing Features and Feature Tweaks

Is bloody screen bullshit?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 19

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 pm

• I've been quick to defend people that have jumped on Toxikk for lack of visual clarity. For the most part, I think the game looks good and reads pretty well (except for the issues with inconsistent collision, which has been already brought up). What I think is unacceptable, and I wanted to call attention to, is that there are some visual effects which NEED to be able to be disabled through the UI or at least easily through the .ini.

One such effect, which has been driving me absolutely crazy and has probably caused me to die more than anything else so far, is the BLOODY SCREEN!!!! I'm sorry, but this effect stands so far in the face of the "no bullshit" thing that it's pretty hard to swallow. I took a screenshot as an example, and please keep in mind that this is already with an ini tweaked pretty significantly to improve visual clarity... behold!

I mean come on... is it not enough that I have just been shot by a rocket, do I need jelly smeared across my screen as a result?

But that's not all, there are two other related issues I'd like to talk about. First, the film grain effect which may or may not be related to the fog that can't be disabled online. Sharkter's original response to this was that there is no film grain effect and he's a cool guy so I don't think he would be dishonest about it, so I'm guessing this is somehow inadvertent. Regardless, let's take a look.

This is the wall at the end of the hall from that same screenshot, zoomed in. The film grain is pretty pronounced, quite obstructive, and downright ugly... and it really needs to be able to be easily disabled.

Finally, as if the red jelly weren't enough, there is some sort of chromatic abberation/distortion effect that occurs when you get hit and are low on health as well which further obstructs your ability to tell wtf is going on and defend yourself. Here I have zoomed in on the Cerberus held in the same original screenshot. Notice the coloring and the distortion around the edges of the weapon, it is most noticeable there.

Now, my ini may not be PERFECT, but I have optimized it a lot for visual clarity. If I have failed to disable something that would turn these effects off I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know, but if not, this stuff has to change! What do you think, to me this is a very high priority so I posted it here. Who else feels strongly about this?
    Lethargy
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    General
    General

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:49 pm

• Is the 'film grain' actually fog? There are plenty of threads about that already. Like you, I can't stand effects that try to make it look like you are viewing through a flat glass screen (like screen gore), or via a lens (lens flare).

I can't stand Chromatic Aberration either - for people like myself who have astigmatism of the eyes, it makes it look like I haven't got my glasses on. Are you sure that you have disabled Achromatism in the Video Options?

These aren't "High Priority Problems" though, to be honest. I just hope the "Video Options" screen has a lot more options in future builds.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:45 am

• Skaldy wrote:Is the 'film grain' actually fog?

I mean... it's kind of semantics, but yeah I think it's related to the fog.
    Lethargy
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    General
    General

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:48 pm

• Figured out how to fix film grain, but unfortunately it causes other issues. Not high priority though, if anyone is interested I posted about it here: http://forum.toxikk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1666
    Lethargy
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    General
    General

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:09 pm

• Somehow yes! I prefer blood marks for example on the ground or on the wall. The game is not enough gory.
    Black River
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 pm

• The bloody screen is meant to give you more feedback about being hurt bad, as the standard health counter isn't enough in our opinion. Also... BLOODY SCREEN... SOOOO REAAAL! :D

P.S.: Film grain was turned off with the latest patch. It was never meant to be there. So, sorry for that.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - Homepage - KK on Twitter - KK on Facebook
    Sharkster [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Emperor
    Emperor

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:17 am

• Sooo realll (I really appreciate that you recognized the reference :) ). Thanks for the reply. Awesome that you guys removed the grain :D Down the line, could the bloody screen/chromatic abberation on damage be an optional setting? I think a lot of people would probably prefer to play with it off.
    Lethargy
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    General
    General

Sat May 16, 2015 12:14 pm

• can we remove the blood screen yet? I'd even like to try out not having those hit indicators blood bar things to show where your getting hit from or having some alternate styles of them but at very least I'd love to see the blood screen go! lol =)
    ItzAllXero
    Legionary
    Legionary

Sat May 16, 2015 12:38 pm

Sat May 16, 2015 1:23 pm

• Personally I think the bloody screen should appear when you are very low in health instead of when you take a lot of damage. Or removed/optional.
    The only one with (almost) no AFPS background.
    Rockfire
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Next

Return to FEATURE DISCUSSION

Information