[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - LINUX SERVER

LINUX SERVER

Suggest New or Discuss existing Features and Feature Tweaks
Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:24 pm

• We're gonna need this when the game releases.
    RedCat
    First Praetorian
    First Praetorian

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm

• Let's face it, though, how many people use Linux for gaming anyway?

EDIT: Not to bash Linux, of course. It's probably better than what Windows has become lately, just thinking of the limited game library.

MFG38
    Centurion
    Centurion

Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:41 am

• What??? 99% of all servers are running on Linux
    RedCat
    First Praetorian
    First Praetorian

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:01 pm

• In that case, I'd assume I misinterpreted your suggestion.

MFG38
    Centurion
    Centurion

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:33 am

• Yeah I didn't mean play the game on Linux (though I think that should be possible) but I meant we should be able to host server on Linux. So far REAKKTOR's stance on this is not very good.

Why we should be able to host servers on Linux:

- The majority of dedicated servers in the world are Linux. It's more stable, uses less memory and is more secure.
    - Windows license costs a lot of extra money. e.g a cheap dedi which can run a Toxikk server would be around 20 euros, adding a license on top of it would be another 20-50 euros which a lot of people aren't willing to pay, it turns a lot of people away from running a server. I know for one I'm not hosting one just because of this, else I'd host a few.
    RedCat
    First Praetorian
    First Praetorian

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:28 pm

• That's a bit exaggerated.
    Hosteurope.de sells Windows and Linux VPS for the same price now.
    I pay €16,99 for a 4GB/2vCore Win 2012 server, which can run 4 Toxikk servers.
    For €29,99 you get 8GB/4vCore, which should be good for at least 10 servers.

At contabo.de/contabo.com you can get 6GB/2vCore Win 2008R2 server for €13,99
    For 30,98 you get 30GB/6vCore there. Good enough for 20 servers.

Toxikk/UE3 is quite a resource hog. ~500MB and 20% cpu per instance (when idle!) isn't something you just install and run on most of the existing Linux droplets. If you pay for CPU usage, then this is going to be expensive!
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:10 pm

• Those are VPS though, how is the CPU on those? I can't imagine they're very good.

And that is still expensive, 17 euros just for 4 servers without being able to host anything else isn't good at all. In my opinion at least. I doubt those vCores can handle it.
    RedCat
    First Praetorian
    First Praetorian

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:20 pm

• I had an old VPS before, which was indeed totally underpowered for toxikk.
    My current hosteurope.de Virtual Server Advanced runs 4 instances without any trouble.
    I installed my ServerFPS mutator and verified that all 4 instances run at 60 ticks/second without a hitch.
    I have also Plesk, IIS, mysql, a name server and other stuff running on that machine, otherwise i could add a 5th toxikk server.

The real question is if UE3 supports Linux for dedicated servers. Google results don't look promising.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:53 pm

• What if all 4 servers are filled with players though?
    RedCat
    First Praetorian
    First Praetorian

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:52 pm

• tl;dr it is possible with wine or virtual machines

As I stated in another thread. I successfully ran the server under wine already. I know it is quite a hassle to set it up, and you need to pull in a lot of dependencies but it works. Another suggestion is to run a headless virtual machine on a linux host. I am in favour of a linux solution, the issue is, that epic themselves did not invest much time in the unreal engine 3 on linux, because they could not really solve the issues with dependencies.
    Leader of
    stepotronic
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

Return to FEATURE DISCUSSION

Information