[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - Force Refresh Rate tweak.

Force Refresh Rate tweak.

Gamers help Gamers. Tips and Tricks. Official Guides etc.
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

• Hi,

I have a question regarding the refresh rate tweak someone posted in this thread (last post of page):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=638#p6008

I've tried to use google but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for. These are my questions:

1. In the registry it says directdraw, does it really apply to all DirectX applications?
    2. I've got 1 screen that goes up to 144Hz and my other screen only has a maximum refresh rate of 60. If I do this tweak will my monitor with 60 Hz be damaged by using this tweak? I game on my 144 refresh rate monitor.

Does anyone know the answer? I''ve thought of PM-ing the one who mentioned the tweak but I always feel like I'm bothering someone when doing that. Secondly I maybe get more input this way...

Thanks and sincerely,

Lifell
    Lifell
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Chief Mercenary
    Chief Mercenary

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:34 am

• Hi Lifell (you could have just replied to that thread :) ),

1. That applies to all fullscreen DirectX apps, yes, that's why I use it. I only play half a dozen games, but it works for all of them - I can check by enabling VSync and then using the freeware FRAPS application to see that the frame rate is 144 FPS. When a DirectX app goes fullscreen it changes the video mode for the resolution specified, but many older games don't allow you to select a valid refresh rate (some like "Dirt 2" did). In the absence of it being specified, DirectX just lazily uses the default lowest 60Hz. It doesn't seem to auto-detect the maximum refresh rate that the monitor is capable of. It could do, but Microsoft must have decided that making any game render more than 60FPS would give a worse user experience or something!

2. I don't think the 60Hz monitor will be damaged - that might have been the case with some old CRT monitors, but not with modern LCD. It will just refuse to change video mode because it doesn't have one at 144Hz. But you can just avoid running fullscreen DirectX apps on the that 60Hz one, just to be sure.

I often wonder how many people buy 120Hz or 144Hz monitors, and sit there playing older games in a 60Hz video mode without ever realizing!!

UPDATED: Resolved below.
    Last edited by Skaldy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:35 pm

• Steam has an option to display FPS (checkin overlay settings), I just use that :)

I am just increasing it by using the slider, and set it too 144Hz. My gaming screen is 144hz and my secondaryu is 60Hz. According to the steam overlay it is running at 144fps (and it feels like it as well). I can't be affected by placebo that hard?
    Wobbley
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Centurion
    Centurion

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:41 pm

• That Steam option is useful, thanks, but are you sure that you have got VSync ON when checking that? Otherwise it won't be reflecting the actual Hz of the video mode in use, just the amount of frames being rendered. Try bringing up your monitor config overlay - it might display it somewhere on that.

Anyway, my situation remains the same. Without the registry settings, the game only does 120 FPS on my ASUS VG248QE 144Hz monitor. With the registry settings, it correctly does 144 FPS.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Wobbley
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Centurion
    Centurion

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:06 pm

• Yes, that'll be why, of course - I should have remembered I'd got the desktop at 120Hz.

So Toxikk is OK (assuming you have your desktop at the best 144Hz rate) but the registry tweaks are still valid for older games that don't work the same way.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:12 pm

• Yeah I am just making sure for my own sake, gotta get every frame ;)
    Wobbley
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Centurion
    Centurion

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

• unreal engine picks up the desktop refresh rate of the monitor the game renders on, so i dont think you need to do any registry tweaks or other kind of dark sorcery. 144hz on desktop -> 144hz in toxikk on my rig. all you need to do is get your 144hz screen to be the primary display in windows'/your vga drivers settings then adjust the refresh rate to your heart's content. the game will pick up that value without changes. btw i'd highly recommend turning vsyinc off to get rid of the extra input lag it causes, at high refresh rates like this you don't get any noticeable screen tearing anyway.
    7ep3s
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:01 pm

• Yeah, VSync should be off by default really (for reduced lag) because Reakktor have provided the option for setting the maximum frame rate instead.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Lifell
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Chief Mercenary
    Chief Mercenary

Next