[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - What is the Falcon's Secret?

What is the Falcon's Secret?

Gamers help Gamers. Tips and Tricks. Official Guides etc.
Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:50 am

• Hello Everyone
    The more I play of Toxikk, the more apparent it is how much of a disadvantage someone like me has going into this game and how much it is hard to compensate for the disadvantage. But that in and of itself will change over time as I become more and more comfortable with this sub genera. Coming from a console background, and only even for three years, I can't say I am sub par when it comes to Arena Shooters. But something else I have noticed in my time on this game is the fact that I am the only person I have come into contact with who is AWFUL BEYOND COMPARISON with the FALCON. It's not even that I just generally suck at the game. I can take second or third spot in some games (yet still about 30 points shy of first that is). In fact, i can almost hold my own against most players with every other weapon. And while I am sitting in the corner of the map, weeping after I miss countless falcon shots, even players around my skill level are pulling off quick, snappy, falcon headshots. SO. What is the trick? What is the problem with myself? Simply put, why is this the only gun with which I can't aim?

Of course, inevitably, I will get better over time, but the real issue is that this is a recent problem I am experiencing in my performance. Whether it is something as simple as a change in sensitivity, or a better crosshair, (currently I have it set as a small circle), I really couldn't say, but I really am just curious if this can be treated with anything other than time and discipline, and I'm just an impatient noob expecting perfection where there is none such a gift to be offered to him.
    Goodbye everyone :]
    A Halo player and youtuber, diagnosed with a serious case of TOXIKK.
    Twitter:-: http://www.twitter.com/HappyZoo5
    Youtube:-: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyZoo5
    I have ability
    HappyZoo
    Apex Predator
    Apex Predator

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:17 am

• It takes a while for your brain to learn how to quickly and accurately move the mouse. However, your improvement rate will be large at the start and get smaller over time so just keep practising. :)

1) Try crouching while you do it - games often reduce the spread or recoil while crouching, but someone will need to confirm if this is true for Toxikk. (?)

2) I can definitely recommend making your crosshairs quite small, and turning the glow on (in case the target is the same color). The default crosshairs are far too big - I changed mine to Size 50% and now it is easier to make more precise hits.

3) Make sure that you are using a mouse than has at least a 500Hz sample rate - older ones only do 250Hz. I downloaded the freeware "Tscherwitschke mouserate" application to check mine.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 pm

• it is not just you HappyZoo. Hitscan is hard to use in UE3 games, it was in UT3 and feels the same in Toxikk. I played UT2k4 for 10 years and I had damn good aim with the shock rifle and lightning gun (both hitscan) but in UT3 and Toxikk I am lucky if my hit accuracy was/is 50% of what it was in UT2k4.

I think there is a mouse input issue with all versions of Unreal Engine after 2.0 that effects hitscan.
    U̶n̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶n̶a̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ Toxikk mapper and modder..
    Polkadot Cadaver
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    General
    General

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:54 pm

• Interesting you say that, the mouse input and hitscan both feel a lot to me than UT3 (and I remember how wonky it was in UT3). I believe some of what you are noticing is likely hitreg related, which is something we have discussed and will be looked at some time in the future during the beta.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - - -
    Lethargy [KK]
    General
    General

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:48 pm

• its been quite awhile since I have played UT3 so maybe Toxikk is better. Even the UDK Shock Rifle primary (which would be the same as the Toxikk Stingray secondary) feels wonky.

UT4 also has this same problem which leads me to believe it is engine related and it started with UE3 and carried over to UE4.
    Polkadot Cadaver
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    General
    General

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:51 pm

• I'm not sure you're talking about just UNREGS. . Even with a lot of unregs, just with the Falcon I can end the game with above 30-40% accuracy pretty consistently.

There are a few things I would look into:

1) Make sure you're using the lowest possible sensitivity while still being able to do a full 180 or more, by swiping your mouse from the left side to the right side of your mousepad

2) Turn off all mouse acceleration and V Sync

3) Part of aiming with a hitscan weapon comes down to predicting your opponents movement or lining up with their movement effectively as you shoot, this is clearly the hardest part of using hitscan. .

Things to consider when aiming:
    -Are they moving left to right consistently? Instead of moving your mouse to follow them, let them move into your crosshair and fire
    -Are they making double dodge jumps frequently? They are easier to hit while in the air typically
    -Are they going to use a lift or jump pad? The more you can predict what they will do, the easier to line up consecutive shots
    -Are they heading to a weapon, ammo or powerup? Same scenario, line up the shot
    -Are they dodging and weaving like a madman? Your best bet is to try and flick shoot them, when they finish one movement and before they start another, you have to shoot them within that short window of time
    -If all else fails, point at them and shoot, it sounds simple but it takes focus and practice to hit fast moving targets consistently

I really feel a large part of the aiming in this genre is understanding the movement system, the current map, your opponents skill level, what weapon they have, what are they planning to do next. . All of those factors will help you in deciding how to react in your positioning and aiming with a Falcon / Hitscan weapon.
    Competitive veteran from the UT series

Toxikk North American Community - Pugs/Scrims on IRC:
    http://webchat.globalgamers.net/?channels=TOXIKK
    RoOkIe
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:18 pm

• part of the problem may be the lack of ability to center the weapon view, currently in Toxikk the 1st person view when holding a weapon is from the right side of the screen. A known problem in UT3, which carried over to UDK, is that from the right or left 1st person view the shot doesnt hit the dead center of the screen/crosshair but slightly off to either side.

in the UDKGame.ini there is a parameter: bCenteredWeaponFire=False which I will change to True. This was a "fix" people tried with UT3.

Will report back when I try these things.
    Polkadot Cadaver
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    General
    General

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:52 pm

• bCenteredWeaponFire=True and WeaponHandPreference=HAND_Hidden make things feel MUCH better. I only tried them in offline mode so I do not know if they will work vs real players.
    Polkadot Cadaver
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    General
    General

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:56 pm