Demo recording

Discuss everything related to TOXIKK
Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:35 pm

• Does Toxikk currently have demorec facilities, if not, when / are they planned?

I would quite like to record my games so I have footage for a small frag movie, or make a movie further down the line.
    :]
    KojaK
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:12 pm

• yes...you can type 'demorec' in the console and it will record.

It will save them to - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TOXIKK\UDKGame\Demos

Then you can type 'demoplay' filename in the console to play it. You can use 'behindview' to view from behind (a bit jerky though)...'behindview 0' to toggle it off and 'demostop' to stop it.

Use fraps or similar to capture it to video. I rather like the third person view because you can do multiple captures of the same battle from different POVs so you can edit in some really cool cuts between multiple perspectives. :yes:
    neoKahn

game over...moonpie.
    neoKahn
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:43 pm

• Demorec and Demoplay used to work...are these going to be added back in as a functional command at some point?
    neoKahn

game over...moonpie.
    neoKahn
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 am

• Open maps with the parameter ?demo=somename to have the game automatically record demos. Makes sense if you own a server or if you host a game on your computer.

Would be nice if devs would care more about this feature. Official servers could record demos automatically if they recognize a "full game player" on the server, and demos could be collected on the toxikk homepage for download. Just one more incentive for free players to buy the game.
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:17 pm

• Why not just use ShadowPlay? (If you own a nVidia, that is.)

Yes, it consumes a lot of space for a recording but the quality is very good (depending on where you set it) after which you can edit (with whatever software you prefer), etc. It's easier and quicker than console commands and so on. It's what I do.

Still, a built in feature like demorec is not a bad idea, and I would like to see it implemented.
    Beer.
    Archon0003
    Alpha Spearhead
    Alpha Spearhead

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:34 pm

• Demos are not a video, they are interactive. You can move freely around the map or spectate the players you want. You can see what they do, learn how to play the game properly from them or check if they may be suspicious for cheating - or show how one may not be suspicious (especially if you can enable a demoplayback wallhack). You can share demo files with other people and also play replays of games you did not join yourself. A 10 minute duel may be just 1-2mb, games with many players still make up just a small file size. Even on an old computer, you can render high quality videos with best graphic settings in high resolution and at any framerate you want.

But it all depends on what you want to do - If you just want a recording from your own pov, shadowplay is the way to go. Especially for 200 ping players. A demo would show your movements as wrong as shadowplay videos feel wrong when you use a jumppad or an elevator (you lag and warp).
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:37 pm

• And there shouldn't be any console commands. The main menu of the game should show a list of the demos you own and allow to play or delete them.
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION

Information