Suggestion for getting new players

Discuss everything related to TOXIKK
Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 pm

• Might I suggest that besides what has already been stated with getting Youtubers to review the game that you also try to include it in sites like HumbleBundle.

Almost all of my steam archive comes from sites like humble bundle (around 150 games right now).. Games I had no idea existed untill I saw them there.

I've known about this game for 2 days now and have gotten 3 people to buy it in that time.. people whom just like me come from a childhood of Quake & UT and want something like this but never heard of TOXIKK.
    VoS
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

• Hate to break this to you, but I think it takes more than a pretty please to get a game featured on such sites, especially Humble Bundle. To my understanding, a lot of the games they feature in their bundles have had decent sales figures and great critical reception by the time they're picked.

Not to say I'm against the idea, though. In fact, I'm all for it. Just kinda skeptical as to whether it'd work.
    MFG38
    Centurion
    Centurion

• A small studio can't afford to give out free copies to youtubers, and that was an official statement, as I recall.
    Last awesome PR outcome was the debut trailer. No, not the release trailer or any further promised PR, sadly. :-(
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

• Well, I have personally bought this game for over 20 People... a small studio can afford to give this out to a select number of Youtubers and Streamers and I think they need to find the right ones... Honestly 1 right streamer could get this game 10,000 sales if you pick someone like Summit 1G haha hes got over 15,000 people watching him all day long. Its about Marketing for sure, my community is doing the best we can so far I know we have reached out to over 300 people.. the problem is they don't all stay active as there are other games that seem more rewarding to play, or rather to keep you playing.

For instance the timing was really bad cause Battle Field 1 just came out also this game has to compete against Counter Strike : Global Offensive... yes a ton of older people 28-38 would be into this game but most younger people 24 - or less might not even know what Quake or Unreal are they grew up in a different era where COD was a thing.

I agree that something needs to be done, and its going to take people like us that support the game to help build the community up... Arena Death Match games are hard to come by and some people don't like a "1v1" or everyone against everyone kind of game.
    Leader of
    Sober
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Apex Predator
    Apex Predator

• The issue is not getting sales for Toxikk. That may be relevant to the devs, but there are already almost half a mio owners of this game. And still barely anyone plays it. Even the free demo players are not really that active. While they have all the weapons and maybe half of the maps, so there shouldn't be any reason not to play the demo over the full game, IMHO. "Pity sales" or people doing sort of charity donations for the niche arena shooter genere won't build up a healthy player base. People will have the title in their steam library without touching it.

As long as nobody plays the game, it can shine as awesome and great. If I play the game, it is not that hard to instantly run over a hand full of bugs or annoyances. I guess there is a reason for the low player count. The vehicle ctf is a mere joke (a shining dot instead of a nicely visible flag, no minimap, unbal vehicle health, travel flag in vehicle, bad implementation of quick travel with the streamer compared to the UT hoverboard). I wonder why nobody plays it...
    Than there is this thing that like 15% of the shots are no regs - you hit somebody, they take no damage from it. Sounds promising for a shooter, doesn't it? Or tell some competitive players they can run around a corner and turn invisible by pressing a key? - surely they will be very impressed and eager to try this game.

This game lacks identity. Like, where has the promised 1999 mode gone? It could have been a one-click competitive player graphics setting. Not that hard to introduce. But what do we get? Shiny bloom and field of depth, mixed with some nice motion blur and color aberration. Instead you get config resets after patches and have to re-do your settings again. No centered weapon fire or hidden weapons is somewhat suboptimal. All the things that are in Toxikk have been done in other games before, and not worse in the original. I wouldn't know any way to sell this game to some friends who are already afps gamers. Like the old UT titles have a more active player base, or the new UT comes for free. Makes it really hard if the devs completely fail marketing on their side (no youtubers, barely community interaction, no prices for tournaments, questionable investmensts in advertising, naming the demo "free edition", ...the list is probably longer than this).

...The tutorial level is quite unique and really well done. Just to leave something positive here aswell. And according to the game files there is still an other unreleased time trials map in the works.
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

• @UT3VegasKill: There's so much stuff in your posts that simply isn't true, that I don't know where to begin with. In part... it even contradicts itself. E.g. in your first post above you say:

UT3VegasKill wrote:Last awesome PR outcome was the debut trailer. No, not the release trailer or any further promised PR, sadly. :-(

While in your second post it reads:

UT3VegasKill wrote:there are already almost half a mio owners of this game. [...] Makes it really hard if the devs completely fail marketing on their side

What do you think why almost .5 million people got the game installed? Because their mother told 'em?
    Here's a LIST OF OUR PR & MARKETING EFFORTS.

It's just awesome when you work your ass off and then have people on your community board that come up with such BS. I could even call it funny how so many people come up with their "own truth" about not having 100s of CCUs in TOXIKK (CCUs, because I'm sure you know that the game has ~1k unique players a day).

You say that...

...it is not that hard to instantly run over a hand full of bugs or annoyances.

How many hours did you put into the game? Dozens? Hundreds? I can spend that amount of time in ANY game and come up with "bugs or annoyances" (most of them based on personal preference). And even... why did you put that much time into the game in the first place? Ahh... please don't answer that. :rolleyes:

What else...?

Than there is this thing that like 15% of the shots are no regs - you hit somebody, they take no damage from it. Sounds promising for a shooter, doesn't it?

BS. Used to be an issue a long time back, when we were still tweaking the netcode in Early Access.

Or tell some competitive players they can run around a corner and turn invisible by pressing a key? - surely they will be very impressed and eager to try this game.

Yea, you should tell them that you can render invisible for not even 2 seconds... and then you cannot do it again. It's a strategical thing... but of course you know that. Wonder why you make it sound as if you could disappear like some stealth game BS.

Also, comparing Toxikk (an underdog newcomer brand) vs. UT4 regarding CCUs... do you actually know the CCU figures of BOTH games or how many people play pro? Look it up... you'll be surprised. And while you're at it... look up the figures of ALL Arena FPS games. I can only hope that you'll THEN realize how much BS you posted here today.

I know that you repeatedly asked (for months) to have your demo recording tools supported by TOXIKK, and we didn't do it. Maybe that's what gets you so upset. Other than that... I could go on with every point you say and proof it pointless. But I feel like I already put too much time into this.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - Homepage - KK on Twitter - KK on Facebook
    Sharkster [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Emperor
    Emperor

• No marketing and half a mio owners don't contradict each other. People find the free edition listed on steam convenient and download it with just a few clicks. No further marketing involved there. A good chunk didn't launch the game once after downloading or didn't launch it a second time. Don't mistake owners with players. Because that was my point. You got almost none of the latter and lots of the former.

Now you are here and link to your list of PR activities as if this would represent a great effort in marketing. You have a website, facebook, twitter, discord and the rest is supposed to go on by itself? Free press kits? If I can believe what I heard, you even refused free copies of the game to game reviewers before the game launch. Same as you closed the door to youtubers. They all can buy the game if they want it. Wasn't that your concern? lol. What you try to do now might be an other story, but you woke up late in that case. Same as you organize events just for fun (Friday frag fest/esl) instead of making prize competitions. You don't expect any return of PR investments, which IMO showed to be a major mistake in the history of Toxikk so far.

And just to correct this: I also didn't compare Toxikks CCus with the ones of the new UT - I explicitly wrote "the old UT titles have a more active player base, or the new UT comes for free.". Like right now, Toxikk has 7 online players, ut2004 has 175 and UT3 33. Idk about UT99, not listed on gametracker.

About the hours I invested in this game, steam says 38. Mostly when new patches launched years ago I made some games, until a few days later everyone left the game. Did work shortly with the modding as well (testing split screen just a few days back). Played a few time trial matches, which as said, where the most enjoyable part of this game for me so far. That's it. It are not that many hours and you may wonder why I bother you devs then. Don't know, I'm sure you'd rather be surrounded only by fanboys rather than other people following the process of this game.
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

• UT3VegasKill wrote:If I can believe what I heard, you even refused free copies of the game to game reviewers before the game launch.

Please name the "what you've heard" sources... Hardcore BS right there.

UT3VegasKill wrote:Like right now, Toxikk has 7 online players, ut2004 has 175 and UT3 33. Idk about UT99, not listed on gametracker.

Shows 39 players for TOXIKK when you wrote your post (can easily be tracked via SteamCharts, SteamDB... whatever).

I have no idea what your point is, what you're trying to prove or where your bitterness comes from. But I guess you'll have your reasons.
    Sharkster [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Emperor
    Emperor

• Sharkster [KK] wrote:Please name the "what you've heard" sources... Hardcore BS right there.

You are free to call this hardcore bs or me a liar if you wish to do so, but the source is not concern of yours.

Sharkster [KK] wrote:Shows 39 players for TOXIKK when you wrote your post (can easily be tracked via SteamCharts, SteamDB... whatever).

Do I have to quote my previous messages every time? You should start to read posts twice before replying with your "own truth", to put it in your words:
    UT3VegasKill wrote:I explicitly wrote
    UT3VegasKill wrote:the old UT titles have a more active player base, or the new UT comes for free.
    Like right now, Toxikk has 7 online players, ut2004 has 175 and UT3 33. Idk about UT99, not listed on gametracker.

So are you implying there weren't 7 online players but in fact 39, based on what you had seen on steamdb? So let me break this down to people who don't know this (though I assume you do, and just want to push player numbers ;) ): Steamdb doesn't show how many ppl play on Toxikk servers. On the other hand, the Toxikk server browser as well as PredatHors server browser tool are reliable methods to do exactly that. Said online players were what I was referring to in above posts. You can't interact with the majority of the 39 players you came along with, except for 7 of them.
    That would be a difference of like 5-6 good populated servers against 1-2 poorly populated servers... makes a big deal of a gap there, don't you think so? Last time the Toxikk servers were that well populated was back in October 2016.
    Either way, people can easily figure out their own truth by looking at the server browser, and checking steamdb to compare the results.

Good luck to surpass that amount of online players for more than a day due to the ESL tournament tomorrow.
    UT3VegasKill
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

• UT3VegasKill wrote:
    Sharkster [KK] wrote:Please name the "what you've heard" sources... Hardcore BS right there.

You are free to call this hardcore bs or me a liar if you wish to do so, but the source is not concern of yours.

Really? :rolleyes:

You come to our board (frequently), post massive walls of text, BS "you've heard" and refuse to name sources... Why should I call you a liar? I guess everybody knows how to judge you and your posts.
    Sharkster [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Emperor
    Emperor

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION

Information