• Stunning - give that artist a beer!

I'd like more than one map with this theme, please. :eek:
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm

• This looks really impressive!!! I love the new theme, is my favorite so far.
    I love those rounded corners, I can't wait to use them in my maps . :D A tentative date for the SDK?

By the way, I also prefer the version introduced with UT2K4 :love:
    axis-z
    Spearhead
    Spearhead

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 pm

• Looks quite amazing
    ImageImage
    radarridr
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    Spearhead
    Spearhead

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:27 pm

• axis-z wrote:This looks really impressive!!! I love the new theme, is my favorite so far.
    I love those rounded corners, I can't wait to use them in my maps . :D A tentative date for the SDK?

By the way, I also prefer the version introduced with UT2K4 :love:

Why? For competitve play it's rather bad because it slows the game down so much. If you have a fraglead in a duel and camp that area your opponent either has to push in through the long flak corridor exposing himself to combos and you can also retreat safely to shock/amp and drop down to the tele for an easy armor pickup. If he pushes in from shock/amp you have a positional advantage plus your opponent has to go around a corner which results into easy combos and you can also fall back safely to sniper/boots and grab the armor too. For competitive play the corridor is not suited at all at UT at least.
    Tobe_
    Alpha Spearhead
    Alpha Spearhead

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:50 pm

• OT: For competitive 1v1, Deck never will be a fun map IMO (no matter if it is the original or not), simply because it is too open and a player with good aim, just need the sniper/shock rifle to control the whole map, and that removes much strategy. On the other hand, Deck has the right size to allow too many players in DM or TDM. and the extra corridor makes less predictable the behavior of players, which enriches the strategy, making it more fun especially for team play.

For competitive 1v1 you have hundreds of better options, the thing is that Deck is a classic, and particularly for old players, sometimes tradition prevails over practicality.
    axis-z
    Spearhead
    Spearhead

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:31 am

• Deck is the most played map at UT. Competitively and casually. Obviously you lack the experience to understand it's depth.
    Tobe_
    Alpha Spearhead
    Alpha Spearhead

Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:45 pm

• Tobe_ wrote:Deck is the most played map at UT. Competitively and casually. Obviously you lack the experience to understand it's depth.

Rofl. I never played any UT in the past, so please forgive my blasphemy. The first time I ever saw DECK was as a custom map on a Toxikk server. And I thought that gotta be someone's early steps into map making. Sniper hangouts everywhere to control the open area and narrow corridors everywhere else where there is no escape from the Cerberus' splash damage. Yes, I completely lack the experience to understand it's depth. My noob mind thinks "boring map" and longs for a "/callvote nextmap".

No doubt, the visuals in DEKK are breathtaking and the amount of work must be tremendous!

But even if it turns out that the map plays great in Toxikk, I think that chosing this particular one for the official map pool is a shot in your own foot.
    "Reinterpreting" UT's signature map will make it even harder for Toxikk to establish its own identity, community and player base. Instead it feeds the "UT rip-off" line of arguments.

Personally I'm disappointed to see one of the scarce official map slots go to waste for a map that I can also play in UT4 (if I wanted to play that map to begin with) and which would have been the prime target for community map makers after the SDKK release. Somehow these news leave me with a "one map less" aftertaste.

That being said, I'm looking forward to play DEKK and really hope to see the SDKK and lots of community maps coming soon using these awesome assets.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:34 pm

• I agree, PredatH0r. This only gives validity to arguments that Toxikk is a UT clone. It's disappointing to me that the devs seem fine with this, as Toxikk has no chance of competing with the new UT if it offers little to distinguish it from UT.
    footfist
    Spearhead
    Spearhead

PreviousNext

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS

Information