[NEWS] PR & Marketing Activities

Official announcements from REAKKTOR Studios
Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:32 pm

• UPDATE #1, OCTOBER 05:
    OUTCOME

So far more than 300k people downloaded TOXIKK and we got two METACRITIC relevant reviews (80% from Eurogamer.pl and 90% from Multiplayer.it). Current user reviews are at 8.9.

There may be more METACRITIC relevant reviews coming from major news sites. We will update this post.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

PR AND MARKETING ACTIVITIES

We've already posted some info about our recent PR and marketing activities. Now, that trailers are released, 1.0 and the "Free Edition" are out and even the first update (1.01) is live, we still get approached by people asking when our marketing activities are going to start and why our presence in the gaming press is almost nonexistent.

And yea,... it's probably right that you can never do enough marketing. But for the sake of giving an overview of our release accompanying activities, I'd like to put up this list, so that people who yell "Do more marketing!" at us, can see at a glance what was done so far (and what results we got).

Our marketing strategy for the launch of TOXIKK, primarily relied on showing off as much as possible of the game (real-time, in-game footage) in professionally produced trailers and videos. All videos were released in a time frame of around four to five weeks circling the game's release date.

RELEASED VIDEOS

01. RELEASE DATE REVEAL TEASER
    Published on Aug 15, (~24k views on YouTube, ~20k views on Facebook)

02. MAKING OF TOXIKK, pt.1: THE WEAPONS
    Published on Aug 19, (~5.5k views on YouTube, ~16k views on Facebook)

03. MAKING OF TOXIKK, pt.2: MAP DESIGN
    Published on Aug 27, (~3.8k views on YouTube, ~10k views on Facebook)

04. OFFICIAL: TOXIKK MOVEMENT TUTORIAL
    Published on Sep 03, (~39.5k views on YouTube, ~16k views on Facebook)

05. 1.0 RELEASE & FREE EDITION TRAILER
    Published on Sep 13, (~17k views on YouTube, ~13k views on Facebook)

06. MAKING OF TOXIKK, pt.3: THE VEHICLES
    Published on Sep 20, (~5.5k views on YouTube, n/a on Facebook)

OTHER ACTIVITIES

01. Feed Social Media (FB, Twitter, Reddit etc.) with every important news item
    02. Reach out to major YouTubers to ask them for co-op
    03. Send out press releases with every important date and trailer release
    04. Professionalize TOXIKK.com website to AAA standards
    05. Release FREE EDITION on Launch Day
    06. Always in touch with the Community (e.g. through our Discord Live Chat)

OUTCOME (SO FAR)

So far, the outcome of our PR & marketing activites is poor. Keep in mind that we're an indie team and what major effort it was to produce all that stuff listed and stay in direct touch with the community, while simultaniously finalizing the game.

For whatever reason, the press didn't pick the title up at all (hat tip to PC Gamer and RPS for being the exception to the rule) and despite the fact that we're sitting first row in the all hot and comin' back-to-the-roots gaming hype train, TOXIKK did not receive a single review from a site listed at METACRITICS. In fact, until today, METACRITIC didn't even list TOXIKK as being released (said TBD as release date, although the game was released over a week ago). Hence all the old material on that page (over a year old trailers and screenshots... are we supposed to update them? And if so... how?).

The real sad thing is that people seem to only blame us for "not bringing in more people". I have no idea what else we can do, if ALL of the METACRITIC listed sites decide to skip the game. In Germany (our home), TOXIKK wasn't even listed on the September release schedule of the biggest gaming news sites.

Don't get us wrong. We're absolutely not saying that our game deserves to be reviewed by major gaming sites (no, there are plenty of other indie games sharing the fate of being ignored by the major press), but the next time you yell at us: "Bring in more players!" or even give TOXIKK a negative user review because of its population, you may want to remember, that we can't be blamed for everything...

In the meantime, remember to leave a user review at METACRITIC... ;)
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - Homepage - KK on Twitter - KK on Facebook
    Sharkster [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Emperor
    Emperor

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:16 pm

• This is a huge issue which is not easily solved, despite 316,000 people owning the game. When people see low player counts they simply won't play because "no one is playing" even though if they would all jump on TOXIKK would be fine. It's such an odd situation.

There are some things you can do:

1) Remove the SC system (temporarily?)
    - I am SC 7 and can't find any servers at all to play on, it's also preventing people/friends from playing with each other and causes everyone to be scattered over more servers than players. Or just add NON SC servers.

2) Increase the slots on CC servers from 8 to 16/20/24
    - This one.. I don't know why they're all still 8 slots! CC simply sucks with only 8 players, the maps aren't made for 8 players!

Social media won't matter, TOXIKK's social media account's don't have a lot of followers/likes, it's only a very small percentage of the player base so advertising to those people won't matter but it's useful for whenever you release patch notes or free weekend / hosting a tournament or whatever.

Reach out to YouTubers is a great idea. There are tons of YouTubers and even channels dedicated to (Arena) FPS games. Give them free copies of the game to give away?

Reach out to every gaming review website you can think of, even if you get bad reviews, any publicity is good publicity.

Free weekend or even week?

What about advertisting on Steam frontpage or Steam pop-up? I haven't seen the "AVAILABLE NOW!" thing for TOXIKK at all.

Host a small tournament with prizes? This requires some work but doesn't have to be expensive, live stream it.

Get Fatal1ty to tweet / make a video / live stream.

You need to push competitive play also. I still think a match-making system like CS:GO could do wonders, it would be the first Arena FPS to ever do this (5v5 CTF or hell even BOMBING RUN, remember that shit? That was pretty epic.) but this would obviously require some work (you'd definitely need smaller maps for this than the current CC maps).

Clearly people want to play this game, most feedback has been really positive but being in EA for so long really killed it. I think it's possible to rectify this but you need to do some really aggressive advertising, preferably without spending too much money.
    RedCat
    First Praetorian
    First Praetorian

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 pm

• Organize a kick off tournament with some decent prices. That will raise the awareness significantly. Even think about a regular tournament for a while.
    I would volunteer to help with administration and coverage.
    Leader of
    stepotronic
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 am

• We are trying to promote it to our Stream team and all of our Followers, Looking to get some other people to help organize events, and get some of the servers locked down to be like "Official Start Here" servers. If I have to setup my own custom servers and rent them I will otherwise I have some suggestions to get the Official servers setup for new players and advanced players.
    Leader of
    Sober
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Apex Predator
    Apex Predator

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS

Information