What kind of monitor do you have?

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Fri May 01, 2015 3:10 pm

• I have an LED Samsung BX2431; 2ms, 60hz.

I'm only now realizing what a big difference having a 120hz monitor can have on the look and feel of fast action paced games like Toxikk. Every time I look at my son playing Toxikk, UT2K4 or Quake Live on an old LCD (or DLP?) monitor (75hz) I notice how much smoother (no blur) and fast it looks despite my PC being WAY more powerful than his and his frame rate being lower than mine.

I've also read many times that if your monitor is a 60hz you won't "see" more than 60fps despite what your onscreen apps show as avg FPS. Is this true? Because I surely see a difference between 60fps and 100fps. Maybe this difference is more noticeable on 120hz screens?

I'm thinking of getting a 120hz monitor but they're so expensive. Anyone want to share some thoughts and opinions on 120hz+ monitors? Thanks.
    Last edited by Butane on Fri May 01, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

ImageImage
    The Gravel Pit - Steam Group
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

• I have an Asus VG248 QE, it's 144hz. The price is actually not that bad, something like $250. It's great in motion, but it's worth keeping in mind that in general the colors on 144hz monitors are going to be inferior for the cost, at least that's been my experience.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - Homepage - KK on Twitter - KK on Facebook
    Lethargy [KK]
    General
    General

• 144hz Asus VG248 QE here too.

If less than 90Hz seems juddery to your eyes/brain (or you preferred high-Hz CRTs back in the old days) then I can highly recommend one for smooth gameplay. Colors are OK after tweaking settings, but probably not good enough for a pro artist/photographer to work on.

Personally, I'm more than happy to accept lower graphical effects and detail for the sake of >120Hz. Latency is everything for FPS games. However, do a rapid pan and you'll still see separate frames - we would need to get 500Hz tech to eliminate that.

Also, I'm interested in G-SYNC/FreeSync (monitor frame rate is variable and driven by GPU instead, which means input lag is not a problem) but I don't want to commit unless there's a proper standard. Does anyone have daily gaming experience of these?
    Last edited by Skaldy on Fri May 01, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• I have the same monitor as Lethargy and Skaldy :yes: , managed to get it from Amazon on sale for like $230.
    U̶n̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶n̶a̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ Toxikk mapper and modder..
    Polkadot Cadaver
    L3 Founder
    L3 Founder
    General
    General

• Thanks for the replies. I never knew there was such a thing as a 'gaming monitor'
    . looks like i got to save some money. That monitor on amazon right now is $370 CAN. definately wait for a sale.

ImageImage
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Fri May 01, 2015 11:28 pm

• I also have the Asus VG248QE. Two of them in fact. It is a fantastic monitor.
    My Youtube channel.
    Cup-
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Legionary
    Legionary

Sat May 02, 2015 12:02 am

• I'm playing on an Asus ROG PG278Q. Got that puppy as a special bonus from my company :)
    Unfortunately my GTX 760 is a bit to weak for 2560x1440 @ 144Hz, so i play at 1920x1080.

I have to more screens connected to the same PC, both 60Hz, one IPS, one TN.
    I played on the other 2 in the past, but it make a hell of a diference to have 144Hz, especially for flick shots.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

• Have you guys heard of LightBoost? (Found on http://www.blurbusters.com/). It's supposed to reduce blur on 120hz monitors and even on 144hz. I didn't think you'd have any blur on 120hz+.

ImageImage
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

• I am playing on a "Generic PnP Monitor"...main display on a Dell laptop. LOL
    neoKahn

game over...moonpie.
    neoKahn
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Sat May 02, 2015 10:18 am

• Butane wrote:Have you guys heard of LightBoost? (Found on http://www.blurbusters.com/). It's supposed to reduce blur on 120hz monitors and even on 144hz. I didn't think you'd have any blur on 120hz+.

Well, it only works on nVidia so I can't try it. It sounds like it turns off the backlight while the pixels are transitioning from one frame to the next, which should make a frame sequence appear sharper. However, I probably wouldn't still use it because strobing the backlight would give separate flicker, like strip lighting has, which would give me as much of a headache as using low monitor refresh rates does!

And that blurbusters website is excellent - I should have mentioned it before. I definitely want a "G-SYNC gaming monitor" and graphics card now. :yes:
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Next

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information