What kind of monitor do you have?

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Sat May 02, 2015 10:48 pm

• Skaldy wrote:I definitely want a "G-SYNC gaming monitor" and graphics card now. :yes:

G-Sync only makes sense when the game's FPS drop below your monitor's refresh rate.
    For shooter games it's more important to have a GFX card that produces stable 120 or 144 FPS, and in that case G-Sync becomes useless.
    From what I can tell a GTX 760 is good enough to get 144fps @ 1920x1080 (with reduced gfx settings)

For older games like QuakeLive G-Sync is actually a handicap. They process mouse/keyboard input between rendering frames, so with 250 fps your input is more accurate (although most of the frame images get discarded). G-Sync caps the fps to 120/144 in that case, so I disabled it on my PC and instead changed my desktop refresh rate to 144Hz.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

• PredatH0r wrote:G-Sync only makes sense when the game's FPS drop below your monitor's refresh rate.
    For shooter games it's more important to have a GFX card that produces stable 120 or 144 FPS, and in that case G-Sync becomes useless.

Right, that makes sense. I don't care about playing with high resolutions, AA or detail. I just want as high a frame rate as possible, with a matching monitor rate.

PredatH0r wrote:For older games like QuakeLive G-Sync is actually a handicap. They process mouse/keyboard input between rendering frames, so with 250 fps your input is more accurate (although most of the frame images get discarded). G-Sync caps the fps to 120/144 in that case, so I disabled it on my PC and instead changed my desktop refresh rate to 144Hz.

Yup, I've done a bit more reading now, and there's plenty about that on the blurbusters forum. I assume it is because older games are single-threaded.

I'll just have to wait for a true 240Hz panel instead. Or 500Hz, to match my keyboard & mouse. :naughty:
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Sun May 03, 2015 10:17 am

• A 15.6" laptop monitor. :D
    MFG38
    Centurion
    Centurion

• BenQ XL2411T
    "To know me better, you must look @ me." - Avatar profile picture.
    vKuch
    Recruit
    Recruit

• So I finally purchased this monitor (Asus VG248). It's amazing! Man, I don't know how I managed for so long on a 60hz! I thought I got some bad FPS drops in Ganesha but now I don't see/feel that at all! Toxikk definately shines on these higher hz monitors.

Just have a question for those of you who own the Asus VG248QE -- How did you guys go about adjusting your colors? I downloaded an ICC profile (from https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/) and it seems to have done the trick, but I still find the white to be too bright. I didn't mind the default profile to be honest except that it also was way too bright.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

ImageImage
    The Gravel Pit - Steam Group
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

• Butane wrote:...Asus VG248

Yeah, great isn't it. Once you have a rock-solid 144fps@144Hz you never want to go back, even if it means losing effects and detail. Particularly for games that need fast reactions, like driving and shooters. There's still some visible tearing if you do rapid 180-degree turn though.

I've never used ICC profiles myself, but here's what I changed from the default:

• Mode -> GAME
    • Color...Bright -> 0
    • Color...Contrast -> 30
    • Color...Saturation -> 30
    • Image...Sharpness -> 40
    • Image...TraceFree -> 0 (sharpness of movement trail)
    A lot of it is subjective though. Everyone's eyesight is subtly different and ambient lighting conditions have a significant effect.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Nice.. thanks for the reply. I'll try it out and see how I like it and where I can tweak etc. It is very subjective.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

ImageImage
    The Gravel Pit - Steam Group
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

• Hmm, I wouldn't buy a new monitor without G-Sync anymore. Too bad the Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q is of such crap quality... :(
    Coco
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• At least I don't have your problems with my HANNSPREE 25" 2ms TELEVISION. Don't be jealous 8)
    The only one with (almost) no AFPS background.
    Rockfire
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Asus VX239 IPS , after various tests my choice was to take an IPS for better colors and viewing angle, but i noticed response times are slower than TN panel
    STYGE
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Previous

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information