DOOM gameplay revealed at E3

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:41 pm

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7g6BfvU6A8

What do you guys think? I'm blown away. Fucking pumped for this! Saw it on a live stream yesterday.

There's also a trailer on doom.com

Edit: sorry, I posted this in a rush this morning, just noticed it's in the wrong section. Please move to off topic.
    Last edited by Butane on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

ImageImage
    The Gravel Pit - Steam Group
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:15 pm

• There's some more videos at plusforward.net
    I'm trying not to set my expectations TOO high, yet. I was a bit sceptical about Wolfenstein:TNO, but it turned out to play quite well. I hope the same applies here.
    Single player campaign looks solid. I didn't find enough multiplayer footage to make any reasonable assumptions. And it's still a long time to wait for Spring 2016.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:21 pm

• The visuals remind me a lot of Dead Space 2 and 3. The ammo and item drops especially. Ledge grabs similar to Crysis...pausing of the game for weapon switch like Mass effect. A lot of cool elements from other titles. Very nice.

Edit: Nice elements for Campaign mode...not sure how they would play out in a competitive setting.
    Last edited by neoKahn on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    neoKahn

game over...moonpie.
    neoKahn
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:28 pm

• I'm pumped for this as well, just not sure how the multiplayer is gonna turn out. They said the multiplayer would be competitive, yet the gameplay footage contained those finishing moves and what appeared to be a player turning into some sort of cyborg, both of which don't really have a place in a competitive multiplayer in my opinion.
    sp1N1337
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Apex Predator
    Apex Predator

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm

• Hmm, those melee combat attacks looked like insta kill altogether, like it would make the chainsaw obsolete (Kills took the same time).
    I do not really like to see close combat as full animations, that carries the stench of QTEs. The worst they could do here is to copy Gears of War there.
    Seeing a weapon wheel in the presentation was a downer as well.
    REAKKTOR STUDIOS - Homepage - KK on Twitter - KK on Facebook
    Lehnard [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:14 pm

• Well, I'm kinda disappointed to be honest :(

The thing that hit me first was how little damage non lethal bullets appear to do to demons. They had no reaction to being shot, which just makes the weapons feel like pea shooters (The lethal bullets, on the other hand, had some really gory effects that were awesome though :D).

Second, the level seemed too cramped for my liking. What's the point in having extremely fast movement if you can't get to that speed without bumping into walls all the time?

The chainsaw locked you into an animation every time the guy used it (these anims will get old very quickly, as they always do). In a fast paced shooter, that just doesn't make sense....

The weapon wheel that appears to slow game time, the mantle animation, the stupid "LOOK, LOOK AT THIS WEAPON MODEL YOU JUST PICKED UP, SEE? I MADE THAT! ISNT IT NICE! WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WANT TO HURRY UP AND SHOOT PEOPLE! LOOK AT IT! I SAID LOOK AT IT!!".... a lot of this stuff just contradicts the "fast paced" thing that they are saying that they're going for.

The demo itself was awful, they did that thing that a lot of game devs do where they show you how you would play the game if your hands were made of plasticine. Nobody, even console players, aim like that, move like that, or shoot like that - it was especially cringey seeing the guy awkwardly aim with his movement rather than by looking at who he wants to shoot, and then of course the demo was clearly played with a controller.

Graphics will probably be downgraded for consoles (all of the gameplay looked somewhat dumbed down for a console experience, no doubt graphics will be a part of that).

Maybe my cynicism towards this game is an unjust response to the couple of years of unbearable disappointments, but I can't help but feel that this game isn't going to be what I was hoping for.
    BARRY SCOTT
    Spearhead
    Spearhead

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:36 pm

• For all the effort in marketing Doom 4 as fast-paced it's awfully slow. After the ship sunk at id Software there was never a reason to put stock in them for any future games, be it Doom or Quake.
    Maker
    Chief Mercenary
    Chief Mercenary

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:56 pm

• Multiplayer movement looks faster (watch the guy on the left): https://youtu.be/g0nUfreRj3Q?t=15
    Too little footage though to judge.

The demo was played on a controller, so naturally there has to be a weapon wheel. Wolfenstein had one too, but that doesn't mean you have to use when you have a keyboard. It has lots of fancy effects that may attract non-AFPS players to play the campaign. Multiplayer seems to be still in the making.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:14 pm

• PredatH0r wrote:The demo was played on a controller, so naturally there has to be a weapon wheel. Wolfenstein had one too, but that doesn't mean you have to use when you have a keyboard.

I suppose that makes sense. But even so, the campaign was a disappointment in general. The enemy design was bland, gameplay slow, and weapons generic. The game gets a big fat "meh" from me.

I'll reserve my judgement on the multiplayer until we see some gameplay. I really want it to be good though.
    BARRY SCOTT
    Spearhead
    Spearhead

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:55 pm

• I have to disagree with a lot of the criticism in this thread.

The weapon pickup animation for example; I'm sure that's just in the SP campaign and probably for the first time you pick a new weapon. Also, remember, they wanna show off their super cool guns and remind you that this ain't your typical military arsenal you're gonna be blowing shit up with!

You have to give it to them. It takes balls for an AAA title to do a lot of the stuff they're doing. If you notice throughout the entire videos, there's not a single reload! Other than the standard super shotgun reload after every shot, just like the original. That's fucking awesome!

The morphing powerup is equivalent to quad/u damage or in our case, a Hellraiser? Hehe

Also, there is no glowing buttons or arrows pointing you where to go or what to touch. There's probably an option to enable that though I hope not.

They're also very open to the community modding their game which is another plus.

I dunno man, I think it'll be sweet. For the sp campaign anyway. Hopefully my pc can run it decent with all that eye candy going on. I can run UT4 maxed with avg 80fps but this looks a bit more demanding.

I think the gameplay speed looks good, but yeah, we need more multiplayer videos to judge.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

ImageImage
    The Gravel Pit - Steam Group
    Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Next

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information