A Discord server for the community?

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:34 am

• 2 topics in 2 days, if I make a 3rd one, it will have the effects of a division by 0 (which none of us want to know). :D

For those who don't know, Discord is basically a better (in my opinion) and free Teamspeak. You can create multiple voice channels and text channels (they are not linked so you can be connected to a text channel without being connected in a voice one.

Here is their website where everything is explained: https://discordapp.com/

I think it's better because instead of using an IRC channel + the steam group chat + the Teamspeak server, we can have everything in one app.

It doesn't work with an IP adress but with an invitation system (they are a link or a code that you copy/past in the app).

We can create channels for the modders, for the competitive players to organize scrims or look for teams (when the game will be out and if people want to show how good they are), for some languages etc...

Just keep in mind that it is in beta and that the navigator version might not work properly and I can't hear anyone on the Android one. Can't tell for the others.

So what do you think? They have done that on the Overwatch subreddit so I thought why not here ^^
    The only one with (almost) no AFPS background.
    Rockfire
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Rockfire wrote:I think it's better because instead of using an IRC channel + the steam group chat + the Teamspeak server, we can have everything in one app.

But a lot of people ALREADY have steam running, use irc for other things, etc...
    Personally my second screen is already full with irc + browser + teamspeak and I don't want to have one more app running..

Also from a modding viewpoint we can already do server mods that plug into irc easily - I don't know how hard it's going to be with Discord. (Looks like they planned a modding API - but uscript is not so easy to work with).
    TOXIKK Modding Team: now in the official Discord channel
    Check out my latest BL maps - Akrone, Moov, and Eternity !
    Chatouille
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

• I totally understand your point of view. I envy you and your 2nd screen... Other opinions guys?
    Rockfire
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• I have my 3rd screen full with IRC, Skype, Steam, TeamSpeak (sometimes) and don't want another app :)

When it comes to text chat, nothing in the world beats IRC for me.
    I don't like fancy twitch-chat emoticons, but I like many of the tools available for IRC, like bouncers which log the channel for me while I'm offline, bots that can tell you the weather in Addis Ababa, and ofc the slapping with trouts.

As for voice chat, I'm fine with giving it a try.
    Kkontributor
    Grand General
    Grand General

• Same here 3rd screen has irc :D
    Leader of
    stepotronic
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

• I hate you all and your good setups...

:'(
    Rockfire
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information