MOBA Shooters

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:22 am

• Overwatch, Lawbreakers, Paragon, Battleborn and moba elements implemented in some modern shooter, like Rainbow 6 Siege and Activision's cash cow (you know which).
    All of them took a on step in evolution of the genre and created some hybrid.

What are your thought over this fact?
    Personally, I could say that TF2 kinda gave me that experience, especially with class unlockables. Back when I still played that game, until I got bored of it. Before unlockables, that game was already chaotic by nature, but MOBA elements amplified it.

Since there's a large emphasis on teamwork, and on pubs I always experience this

This is why I'm more into 6 player deathmatch mode, with weapons scattered all over creative maps. But sadly these days are long gone in budget titles. So MOBA shooters are not my thing, obviously.
    The Strangerous
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Spearhead
    Alpha Spearhead

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:48 am

• The only one I've really tried is Overwatch and personally I kind of like it.
    Though I never played much of TF2, I know what you mean.

As someone who generally don't like MOBA's and I have found myself to quite enjoy Overwatch, despite the fact that I find it lacking in the map/game mode department. (I promise, I won't complain about the god damn egypt map with the bloody chokepoints that make me want to strangle someone...whoops!)

While the experience you posted in the purdy picture certainly can be true. I guess it really depends on how well you can handle it. I'm generally carefree in games. "So I didn't get the best team and a lot of stupid stuff is happening, eh whatever. I've done plenty of stupid stuff myself" is my general attitude about it.

I find this type of game (based on my impression of Overwatch at least). To kinda be a step in the right direction. It's a bit more creative. There's several playstyles depending on which character you pick. Lack of regenerating health is nice. And the fact that there are health packs on the map as well as having healing classes mean that you're not completely fucked if you don't stay around the healer all the time.

I think you can kinda throw Dirty Bomb into the lot with the rest of these. Several different characters/classes and so on.

In general though, I like this "evolution", simply because it puts more alternatives for different types of games out there. And the fact that big developers are behind quite a few of these is something that should interest the whole "AMG TEH GAEM HAS 2 B ESPORTZ!" crowd. It brings the focus back to the FPS genre that seems to have pretty much stagnated in the competitive scene. Go on, name three FPS games that are played in major tournaments and such. (Excluding CS:GO and any silly console stuff. Peasant contests do not interest us, right?)

I guess one of the main worries fans of the more AFPS genre have about these games is that they will be "Consolized" slowed down and so on. Which surely can be justified but also mended with the whole character system. The character I mainly play in Overwatch is Tracer because of the fast-paced nature of the character which makes it more fun to me. While the slower ones are simply not as interesting.

..No idea what my main point or anything is here but hey, it helped me pass some time :D
    Streaming Toxikk and other stuff over at Twitch
    Equim
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 pm

• If you're enjoying these types of game, more power to you!

But unfortunately, with so many classes, there'll be never ending balance issues. One classes will be overused, some underused. Sometimes less is more. For example: Nowadays nobody plays Heavy in TF2, he's slow, minigun slows him down even more, he got basically no buffs in years, etc. (Sadly TF2 is more focused on overpriced cosmetics than balanced gameplay or performance optimisation).

The simplicity of arena shooter, where everyone starts out equally (maybe not in Quake Live) and got equal chance to gather powerups/weapons was perfectly balanced.
    "Don't fix what ain't broke."
    And damn, I feel so old by saying that.
    The Strangerous
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Spearhead
    Alpha Spearhead

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:05 pm

• MOBA shooters...
    I just don't like them. They are no fun to me. Having to pick classes is irritating, choose one you prefer but your team doesn't than the rampage of voices makes me shed a tear. I prefer having to use map, movement and weapons to defeat your enemy over being in the correct location and using this power at this time for this reason.

I'm basically 100% agreeing with the Strangerous.
    Corruptknight7
    Recruit
    Recruit

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:53 pm

• Personally I don't care at all if the game is a MOBA Shooter or a basic shooter, as long as it is fun to play. I had the occasion to play Paragon and it is promising to me (I'd like to play it again when they will have optimized it... I don't understand how I can run UT4 smoothly in max settings when I can't even get 60 fps in low...).

But I'm a young player. I was too young when it was the golden age of FPS so maybe that's why I do not complain with the class system or whatever "MOBA element" is implemented into an FPS.
    The only one with (almost) no AFPS background.
    Rockfire
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:31 pm

• I can't really say what my stance is on them, since I've never actually played any. I've kept my eyes on Overwatch ever since it was announced, though, and it looks pretty interesting.
    MFG38
    Centurion
    Centurion

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 am

• Overwatch is not a MOBA Shooter it is a TF2 Clone, Team Fortress was the original that created classes and had Capture Points. Paragon would be a MOBA because it has the Minions and Lanes.
    Leader of
    Sober
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Legionary
    Legionary

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information