[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - Laptop

Laptop

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 pm

aka kHYRR73WHE
    superman
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:21 pm

• The biggest mistake I ever did was buying a laptop for gaming.

I bought one back in 2008 (Asus 2GS b1 or something) which cost me $2200CAN. It was supposedly a 'top of the line' gaming laptop for that time. UT3 came out around that time and only ran at about 40FPS.
    Regardless, about 3 years later it was practically useless; you couldn't run any new games, and I never even tried. You couldn't upgrade anything other than the RAM. $2000 down the drain.

in 2011 I decided to build my own desktop like I used to as a teenager, mostly because DNF which was to be relesed months later.

That desktop cost me $1100CAN (including monitor). It's almost 4 years later now and it's still keeping up with the latest releases. I did, however, upgrade the video card once (this summer), but that was by choice; the old one was still running games at 60FPS+.

I'll never buy a laptop again for gaming mostly because you can't upgrade the hardware. My friend recently bought an Alienware gaming laptop which he says has removable/upgradeable hardware but I'm not sure about that-- I think the hardware costs a lot more than desktop and you're still limited to certain amount of parts which are removable.

Just my 2 cents.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:52 pm

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:07 pm

• If you were a music diehard, would you buy one huge boombox? No, you would spend your money on a high quality home system, because it's upgradeable, and get a cheap portable if you needed it.

The same goes for gaming. To play well, or enjoy the game properly, I would always want to attach a decent keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers anyway.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:33 pm

REAKKTOR STUDIOS - - -
    Sharkster [KK]
    Reakktor Studios
    Reakktor Studios
    Emperor
    Emperor

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:56 pm

• Just for your information, superman - I'll play on a .
    It's a second-hand machine I got for 750€ (rather cheap, if I say so myself), and comes with a 17" FHD screen, GTX 780M (4GB), an Intel i7 4700MQ and 16GB of RAM (and an SSD!).
    I've also purchased a Razer DeathAdder to mouse around as if I'm a pro :naughty:
    The keyboard is not very good (as is the case with many/most laptops), so I'll attach a USB keyboard - I had one lying around - this should help to keep some distance from the screen, too.
    If necessary, I'll hook up a DELL U2711 - 2560x1440 glorious (but reportedly slow) IPS pixels to give the GPU the workout it desperately needs :D
    We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:29 pm

• Thanks everyone for help :)
    So I move forward to the "next level" of my quest :D

Why I cannot build a desktop now - it's due to I am a student and I have to travel back home and cannot carry it with me :) (or I can, but it would cost extra $$$ :)

Currently after all your comments I have chosen to go with intel rather than amd :) And have to choose from couple of systems :) I thought that I would rather pay a bit more and get core i7.
    Also wanted to ask you guys : should I give up "8gb RAM (out of 16) and SSD (128gb)" for extra "2gb of VRAM" ? + it will cost ~100$ less

Thank you once again for your help guys :)
    aka kHYRR73WHE
    superman
    Second Praetorian
    Second Praetorian

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Leader of
    stepotronic
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:26 pm

-- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:38 am

• * I'd also stick with Intel CPU - even if an AMD chip looks similar and cheaper it usually has some limitations.
    * The extra 2Gb of VRAM might let you use a higher texture detail, which would look a bit nicer, but it won't help how fast textures can be moved around within the system and could make the game slower in places.
    * 8Gb RAM is more than enough, so save your money there. The game probably won't use more than 4Gb.
    * An SSD makes a huge difference, especially to a laptop. Again, an Intel one is best.

Anyway, it sounds like the game will run on low settings on a wide range of kit, so I applaud the devs.
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

PreviousNext

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information