New gaming gear

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:14 am

• I intend to buy/build myself some new gaming gear (your suggestions are welcome, of course), but I wonder if should wait juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little longer - until Micro$oft officially announces Windows 9, for instance, and issues vouchers for a free upgrade to their "latest and greatest" (cough)...
    We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:50 pm

• Well, if you're talking about peripherals like mouse/keyboard, or hardware like a graphics card, then I don't see why you should wait for windows 9.

What kinda things are you considering?
    www.soundofviolence.eu - international gaming community, welcoming players from all over the world, come and join us!
    Gorebag
    L4 Founder
    L4 Founder
    Centurion
    Centurion

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm

• Gorebag wrote:Well, if you're talking about peripherals like mouse/keyboard, or hardware like a graphics card, then I don't see why you should wait for windows 9.

Only the box itself (might be a laptop, though). No screen, mouse, keyboard or CD/DVD/Blu-Ray.
    So we're talking MB, CPU, memory, GPU, Audio, cooling, OS and case.
    It's already settled to go for an SSD (half a T or more) for storage - just to start off with.
    We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm

• It's all about budget man.
    "The natural order of things has no room for hardscopers." - Yolo Swaggins, 1846

kru5hGaming on YouTube!
    th3kru5her
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Grand General
    Grand General

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:50 pm

• Budget plz, if your just gaming or light ebiting AMD is a great choice but if it will also be a production machine than go intel
    Enclave254
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Apex Predator
    Apex Predator

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 pm

• BlackAdder wrote:
    Gorebag wrote:Well, if you're talking about peripherals like mouse/keyboard, or hardware like a graphics card, then I don't see why you should wait for windows 9.

Only the box itself (might be a laptop, though). No screen, mouse, keyboard or CD/DVD/Blu-Ray.
    So we're talking MB, CPU, memory, GPU, Audio, cooling, OS and case.
    It's already settled to go for an SSD (half a T or more) for storage - just to start off with.

In that case, don't wait for Windows 9. The only thing worth waiting for would be new hardware line ups, but since a new cycle has just started (new Intel processors and mobos to match, Nvidia GPUs, DDR4 RAM) there's no better time to buy hardware. There's nothing to wait for at the moment.

I wouldn't recommend more than half a TB for an SSD though, unless money isn't a concern.
    I've got a 120GB SSD, which is on the small side, but it's enough for W7 and 2 large games + room for recordings.
    With a 240GB SSD, I would have room for W7 and 8 large games (20GB each), which is more than enough for me. I keep my least played games on a regular HDD.
    Half a TB would mean I could have practically everything that would benefit from being on an SSD there. Going beyond that size would just be a very expensive way to have excessive space for things that wouldn't need to be on an SSD.
    www.soundofviolence.eu - international gaming community, welcoming players from all over the world, come and join us!
    Gorebag
    L4 Founder
    L4 Founder
    Centurion
    Centurion

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 pm

• Budget is 1800 Euro max. I was thinking Core i5 4690(K), 8/16 GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, ASUS Strix GTX970. All on some H97 (Z97) MB - ATX or mATX. In a Scout2 case.
    Also looking at Corsair Hydro cooling. Maybe add some soundcard.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 pm

• Cool, that's plenty for a nice rig.

Don't get that CPU though, it's from the old generation by Intel. Instead, get one from the latest line, like the i7-5820K, or wait for the new i5 models to be released. And make sure to get an X99 mobo if you get one of those i7's. X99 only takes DDR4 RAM too, afaik.
    Also, I would recommend an Asus mobo. Have only heard good things about them. Getting mATX is also a good way to save some money.

As for RAM, I would recommend being aware of how much you currently use (seen in the task manager). Because if you've got 8GB and never get close to full usage, then stick to 8GB. 16GB is nice for having lots of stuff open at once though, if you're into that.

The SSD and GPU are great choices.
    I don't know much about water cooling or cases though, but I know LinusTechTips has a lot of good videos on that, if you aren't sure about your choices.
    As for sound cards, all I can say is this - I've never heard experts say anything good about them. Quite the contrary.
    The onboard sound on a mid-high end Asus mobo would easily be good enough.

I guess the only thing that might be worth waiting for are 5th generation i5 CPUs and the mobos they would need. If you're into game recording though, you should get an i7.
    Gorebag
    L4 Founder
    L4 Founder
    Centurion
    Centurion

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:38 am

• Here's what I would build for 1800€

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
    CPU: Intel i5-4690K
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i
    Mobo: Gigabyte Socket 1150 GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
    RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Vegenace DDR3 1866Mhz
    PSU: Corsair RM650
    GPU: MSI GTX 980 4GB GAMING 4G
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb

This is what you'd get for ~1800€ in Estonia, I believe.
    Ehco
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:55 am

• Ehco wrote:Here's what I would build for 1800€

[snip]

This is what you'd get for ~1800€ in Estonia, I believe.

Thx for the info, Ehco.
    I ended up buying myself a second-hand laptop, though - too good an offer to resist at 750 € :D
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Next

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information