[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - The Casual Player's Perspective...

The Casual Player's Perspective...

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK
Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:33 pm

• I've been (kind of) following all the threads around here talking about movement - shift vs double tap, double jumps, bunny hops, speed moves, and a bunch of others. Also sort of followed the hardware threads - special keyboards, special mice, full setups. And partially followed all the "I want this" and "it has to have that to be good" threads.

So I finally had to ask, am I the only one here that just wants an old school shooter based on skill level rather than 'pay to win' games? I realize a lot of hardcore gamers want things they think they'd like, or that they're used to in some other game, but I guess I'm one of those people who just want a good game that has the basic strategy of a level playing field.

I realize, too, that most people here are hardcore arena players, which is more 'twitch', but I like shooters of any style. I like twitch arena shooters, but I also really liked the old stealth/strategy based shooters like CoD 1 (and Delta Force, Iron Storm, and a pile of others from back in the day). And though different types of moves can sometimes add to a game, depending on the play mode, I take what the game gives me and make the most of it.

So I have to ask, am I the only really casual player here? When the beta comes out I won't mind offering thoughts and opinions, suggestions, or reporting bugs, but otherwise my thought is to wait for the beta release, learn the game, and just have fun playing it.

I have to admit, as much as I've enjoyed all these games in the past - and plan on enjoying Toxxik, I couldn't come close to knowing the level of detail in those games that some people here do. All the character names, weapon names, level names, move names, etc. I get in, pick up a weapon, shoot at anything that moves for a while, then get out an go have a coffee. And I've never joined a clan. I have decent hardware, but I use a standard keyboard and mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with hardcore gamers. We all have hobbies we get excessive about. But I've been wondering for a while now, after semi-following a plethora of the threads here over time, are there any other truly casual gamers here who just want to wait for Toxxik beta, jump in and learn the basics, and start blasting like it's 1999?
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

• I didn't either. I did finish most of the SP modes of the shooters up through around 2004, but not all. And I enjoyed all the MP games over the years. But other than remembering the BAR was my favorite gun in CoD 1, I couldn't name all the weapons in any of those games on a bet - unlike most of the players here.

Ah well, I'll have fun, and I'll make a good target... :p
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

(;゚ Д゚)UT99 ❤
    PatchyKnowly
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Apex Predator
    Apex Predator

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

• I'm with your main idea. I like the core concept of the game and it's direction so I bought it. I will offer my side on things during the beta that I think could make the game better but I will most likely play the end result no matter what.
    Defeat
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Senior Mercenary
    Senior Mercenary

• This is one of the hardest things to achieve imo, and UT2004 did it. The game has to provide enough reward and enjoyment for both casual and serious gamers within the same match.

Of course we can only evaluate this during beta. And I expect there to be a higher proportion of serious twitch arena players during the beta, with more casual gamers after release, so we need to make sure we keep it accessible and fun.

Ultimately, I want to have a laugh while learning to be deadly skilful. :D
    Skaldy
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Exactly my feeling about it all the way around. I fully expect to get my butt handed to me by the serious 'twitch' players, but as long as it's a level playing field that's okay. I have as much chance as anybody. And that will make it more enticing for the other casual players out there.

And I agree that it will be mostly serious arena players in the beta, but the level playing field should attract a lot more of the casual players than the F2P crap out there now. When I decided to get back into some FPS a year or so ago, all that pay to win crap put me off and I just dropped the idea.

Now if somebody like Reakktor came out with a modern version of an old style WWII shooter like CoD 1, I'd be a happy camper. Best of both worlds.

Glad to see I'm not the only casual guy in here. Or semi-casual anyway. This should be the game to bring in a whole range of players...
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

• Hardcore gamer here. I spend at least 80 hours gaming a week.

I don't identify as a hc gamer though :? Just a guy that wants to get really good at a game. More a pursuit of skill, rather than "just lumber through some playtime". Nawmsayin?
    "The natural order of things has no room for hardscopers" - Yolo Swaggins, 1846

th3kru5her
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Grand General
    Grand General

• Sure do, th3kru5her. I'm basically the same way. When I find a game I really like, I like to be as good as I can be at it. And I will spend a fair amount of time playing. I just likely won't know every detail of the game inside and out, or make it my life's ambition to be the quintessential player of that game.

Learn what I need to know, practice while playing, and have some fun...
    L2 Founder
    L2 Founder
    Alpha Centurion
    Alpha Centurion

Next

Return to OFF-TOPIC TALK

Information