[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
TOXIKK Forum • View topic - Mid Tower vs Full Tower?

Mid Tower vs Full Tower?

Discuss everything NOT related to TOXIKK

Mid vs Full Tower

Mid Tower
55%
Full Tower
45%

Total votes : 20

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:21 pm

• I'm trying to build a computer but can't decide between a mid tower or a full tower. I want a mid tower because it is less costly and easier to move around if needed. However, I feel a full tower would provide more airflow I need to game longer and increase the life of my parts. What do you guys recommend?

my build so far:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w6Zyyc
    Epic Murph
    Legionary
    Legionary

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:54 pm

• Nice build. I do think your CPU might be (or become) a bottleneck, at least for single-core stress tasks (like most games). You might want to go for a similarly-priced (in Belgium, at least) i3-4150 - see for a rough comparison - and upgrade later on, if necessary (you will need another motherboard for Intel processors, of course).
    As for the question at hand: I'd go for a mid tower. You don't have that many components to fit in, and although the FX 6300 is not really energy-efficient (ahem), it still only adds 80W to dissipate (the GTX 970 will add almost twice that, I think). Should be easy to cool with "just" air (you may want to add extra fans in the case - bigger (if possible) is better here - less noise per volume of air moved).
    I really like the Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black and the Corsair 450D (the latter being somewhat less affordable), but there are many cases to choose from, of course.
    We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    -- Captain Blackadder

BlackAdder
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:56 pm

• I'd go with a mid tower. Like BlackAdder said, you don't have that many components. I think a huge tower looks odd when only 1/3 of it is being used. My brother does that a lot and he's not even a gamer, hah.

Most 'gaming' towers these days come well ventilated. Besides, you can buy additional cooling fans with the money you save if you're really concerned with temperatures.

This is my tower http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=038223 I only use the 2 cooling fans it came with (front and rear) even though I have the option of adding a top/ceiling fan. So far it hasn't been necessary because it's got wicked airflow (well ventilated)

Also, I couldn't help but notice the hard drive you picked. I would HIGHLY recommend throwing in a SSD in addition to it for Windows and the higher spec games.
    "I ain't afraid of no Quake"

Butane
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    General
    General

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:46 am

Epic Murph
    Legionary
    Legionary

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:46 am

• It doesn't really matter. I bought a full tower case, Corsair Obsidian 750D, because I wanted my 1200€ PC to look like one, and I also wanted a huge window, through which I could see my awesome creation.
    As of right now, there isn't a graphics card long enough to not fit into a Cooler Master K280 (the case I had previously. The longest conventional GPU, I believe, is the Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X Vapor-X, which is what I have, and it fit nicely into CM K280.
    The only benefit I can think of that full tower cases tend to have is easier and better cable management. This, however, tends to be more due to the price of full tower cases, which is generally over 100€. Well, this and more space for fans or radiators for better airflow, if that's what you are looking for.
    For example, while I could mount 1 120mm fan/radiator on the back of my K280, I can fit 1 140mm fan/radiator in the back of my old K280. I can fit 2 140mm fans or 1 280mm rad or 3 120mm fans or 1 360mm rad in front and on top of my Obsidian 750D, while my K280 only allowed for 1 120mm fan/rad in the front and 1 120mm fan on the side, which was rather impossible to implement due to the cord getting in way of other things.
    Another pro of full tower would be a shitfuck of HDD/SSD slots. This, though, is generally useless, unless you have several HDDs running in RAID.

Final verdict:
    Bigger case is not necessary, it is more of an accessory. You can do completely fine with a cheap 30€ case like the CM K280. However, when it comes down to looks, space, accessibility and airflow, full tower wins by a longshot. While it was somewhat a hassle to place the mobo into K280, it was a breeze in the Obsidian 750D.
    If you have the money, of course buy a full tower. If you don't, nothing bad will ever happen.
    Ehco
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Mercenary
    Mercenary

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:16 pm

• I found out, that you actually need a bigger tower sooner or later. May it be because you want to overclock and can use the easier to optimize airflow in a big tower or simply add more components. Having to buy it later is worse imho.

About the cable management that ehco mentioned. Make sure you get a power supply where you can remove the cables if you don't need them. That is one of the yet still underrated inventions and yet essential for a cool and dust free PC.
    Leader of
    stepotronic
    Kkontributor
    Kkontributor
    General
    General

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:58 am

Ehco
    L5 Founder
    L5 Founder
    Mercenary
    Mercenary